THE SQL Server Blog Spot on the Web

Welcome to SQLblog.com - The SQL Server blog spot on the web Sign in | |
in Search

Tibor Karaszi

Books Online for SQL Server 2016

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:19 PM by TiborKaraszi

Comments

Dirk said:

Hi Tibor,

thanks for this, very good to know :-) Got it for SSMS but what about my VS2015? Seems that I've to install same help files again doubling space needed, right?

Dirk

July 2, 2016 7:35 AM

TiborKaraszi said:

Hmm, yes, I just fired up VS (actually SSDT, but it is the same shell, and I believe I have the VS product also installed here). And, indeed SQL books wasn't there. I bet it has to do the the argument provided such as /catalogName SSMS16. I'm sorry, but I don't know if downloaded books can be shared among catalog names. Perhaps there's an MSDN forum for HelpViewer?

July 3, 2016 2:44 PM

techvslife said:

Thanks, this doesn't however solve the issue with context help not working (F1 from a property sheet in SSMS doesn't work, and F1 from a query window always goes online).

July 5, 2016 3:12 AM

TiborKaraszi said:

Correct.

The F1 bit, I got covered above: "F1 from within SSMS will always take you to the web based BOL.".

The Property pages help, I never use. I always script the commands and read help about the commands instead :-). But I see that now, for me it even goes to HelpViewer 1.1. Bummer.

July 5, 2016 5:11 AM

Andreas Krohn said:

Reads like a joke. Thanks for summing this mess up.

This really made me think there could be some grumpy man at Microsoft that tries to make local BOL help more dissatisfying with every SQL Server release.

Just remember some years ago. Just an F1 click and you were there. Wow!

What goes wrong here?! *sigh*

July 6, 2016 10:41 AM

TiborKaraszi said:

Yes, Andreas, the old "F1 and it just worked"-times. I also discovered that the index isn't there - will add to the blog post now...

July 7, 2016 9:09 AM

Bill said:

January 6, 2017 5:27 PM

Ralph said:

Thank you for your post!

It is really annoying what Microsoft are doing here with the Books Online. I spend several hundred thousand dollars for licences and SA year by year and they make me cry and beg for BOL.

I am in a big company's environment where it is totally common that you cannot access the internet without going through a proxy.

So, almost one year after SQL Server 2016 release, there is no documentation available except the slooow online HTML version, and even that I can never access from a server or an admin PC.

:-(

February 20, 2017 3:57 PM

Shane said:

Sybase E books in the early 2000s rocked. Oracle has good ebooks. IBM has good ebooks , redbooks and cookbooks. Microsoft has always been rubbish for docs and is getting worse.

November 7, 2017 3:06 PM

Michael MacGregor said:

I used this approach to download the latest version of BOL for SQL 2017. Unfortunately I don't like the way the contents are now arranged as they have split the Transact-SQL reference into different sections. It's still better than the online version though as at least I can create favourites.

Do you know if it's possible to import earlier versions of BOL into Help Viewer 2.2?

April 19, 2018 7:36 AM
New Comments to this post are disabled
Privacy Statement